Instead of sitting back and not being pro-active in Canada's failure over the years in achieving our climate targets - promises not plans - B.C. announced in October 2021 that they are taking action to reduce pollution and waste while identifying new technologies and opportunities that will help them achieve their short and long-term climate goals.
People will argue whether or not B.C.s new "CleanBC Plan" will dramatically reduce GHG emission targets by 2030 and 2050 but what's important right now is they have an environmental plan that the People of BC are aware of, can understand, and can determine if the plan can surpass environmental expectations. Our current Ontario government can learn from what BC is proactively doing but unfortunately, the People of Ontario see no signs of any environmental leadership initiatives in the short term but we will hear promises before the Ontario election....sorry too late Mr. Ford...but don't worry The People of Ontario Will Build There Own Environmental Plan!
Here are six of British Columbia's key climate initiatives in addressing the climate emergency and GHG emission reduction goals by 2030 and net zero emissions by 2050.
1) Regulations in eliminating industrial methane emissions by 2035
2) A plan and initiatives to make new buildings zero-carbon by 2030
3) Faster adoption of zero-emission vehicles reaching 100% by 2035
4) New zero-emission vehicles (ZEV) targets for medium-duty and heavy-duty vehicles
5) Changes to the current oil and gas royalty system so it's in line with B.C.'s climate goals.
6) Incentive fund for innovation in areas like clean hydrogen, the forest-based bio-economy, and negative emissions technology