1) 1.3 billion tons of food is wasted across the globe every year
2) Food waste in Canada is extremely high primarily due to consumer behaviour
3) Most food waste comes from households
Food waste is having a direct impact on our climate due to the majority of food waste going to landfills in Canada.
Some of those impacts include:
1) Harm caused to biodiversity through landfills and excessive, wasteful farming
2) Wastewater, caused by farming more food than we actually need
3) Excessive methane emissions released by decaying landfills
4) Land destroyed or overtaken by agriculture, often harming communities
There are a number of initiatives-solutions that can address this eco-problem and one simple solution for each household consumer to do is begin composting which will directly reduce the amount of your food waste going to landfills. That simple solution is The FoodCycler....be part of the ecoMVMNT and go to www.ecomvmnt.ca to learn more about the benefits of the FoodCycler.